Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Blessing Hour - Mid-morning

"Sacred is the pause that draws us into stillness. Nourishing are the moments when we step away from busyness. Teach us the wisdom of pausing. Reveal to us the goodness of stopping to breathe."  


Last week I wrote a post about a little book which has helped to teach me the importance of pausing throughout the day. After the awakening hour, my second most favorite "hour" or pause, when I am home and able to honor it, is the Mid-morning Blessing Hour. It is the time of the day when I am encouraged to step away from the kitchen or my computer and reflect on the sacredness of the day's work. Or better put in Macrina Wiederkehr's words:

"When I have the wisdom to step away from work momentarily, I am able to see it as a gift for the entire world. A short, refreshing pause can enhance my growing awareness that all work has the potential of becoming love made visible--a blessing."


I love this perspective of work, "love made visible." How often do we look at work as drudgery, whether it be preparing a meal, doing laundry, teaching, throwing hammers, treating patients, cleaning up messes, or working at the office? I know I've often been guilty of resenting work, rushing through it or simply enduring it, in anticipation of getting to the things I really want to do. But I am learning that work can be sacred when seen as an act of love.

"Bring to our memory the truth that we are the temple out of which you pour your gifts into the world. We are the temple from which you sing your songs. We are the temple out of which you bless."


And so chopping vegetables and mashing potatoes is no longer just "meal prep," but a loving gesture of feeding my family nutritious, delicious food. And doing laundry is a time to be grateful for modern technology that helps me keep my children clean and smelling good. Teaching not only means checklists and counting days until the next holiday; it is a sacred act of seeking the potential for growth in students. Throwing hammers builds and fixes safe, secure shelter for people. Treating patients is a sacred act of giving health and hope. Cleaning messes is serving those who may not be able to take care of themselves. And doing one's best at the office helps to serve a larger community.

"Bless the work that awaits us. Anoint our hands, hearts, and minds as we joyfully enter into the heart of this day. Make our spirits lucid, attentive, and open to all that can be."


Finally, I love the reminder that work is not only something we do with our hands. There are days where my hands are busy with sacred work.  But there are times when my mind and heart need to be at work, which may mean putting aside some of the "hand work." May we not underestimate this sort of work, which may mean reading or journaling in order to expand our limited thinking or taking the time to embrace our spouse or children for a longer moment as the heart works to communicate love or listening deeply to a friend who needs a shoulder to lean on. I even think that writing this blog can be sacred work, as my mind, heart, and hands unite in an effort to inspire.

And so perhaps we all, no matter where our place of work or what our work entails, today can offer this prayer:

"Lovingly behold the work that my hands, heart, and mind have achieved thus far. Receive it as part of my morning prayer."


Note: All quotations are taken from Seven Sacred Pauses by Macrina Wiederkehr.


3 comments:

  1. Dear Annette,

    Thank you for these wondrous words- yours and the author's. They are a beautiful reminder for me.
    Blessings and Peace to you...
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings and Peace right back to you, Brother Stefan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for these words and practical examples of viewing work with a grateful heart and enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete