Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I Watched the News Today...


I Watched the News Today…



I watched the news today
and wondered if God had gone to play

I saw the bully win
and asked God if he was out or in

I heard my neighbors scream
and wondered if God turned mean

I read about the starving child
and wondered why war waged wild

I saw a man die of AIDS
and asked God if he had gone away

Then on my knees I fell and wept
and God whispered into my depths…

I hear the hungry children weep
Go and feed them; be my feet

I know the bullied girls and boys
Go seek justice; be my voice

I see the sick across the land
Go and help them; be my hands

I listen to the poor one’s prayers
Go and answer; be my ears

Then to my feet I rose again,
rolled up my sleeves, dirtied my hands

~Annette L Garber, 2005 


1 comment:

  1. Dearest Nettie,

    What a beautiful poem. I didn't know you wrote it until the end. Thank you for those words. Wish everyone could read it.

    ReplyDelete