Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

An Everyday Hero

I'm a substitute teacher.  I fill in for kindergarten teachers all the way up to AP Calculus teachers.  I love the little ones, but I find it weird being around teenagers.  I used to think I loved teens and wanted to spend the rest of my life working with at-risk youth.  Maybe I'm too far attached from them now that I'm in my thirties, because my tolerance has certainly waned.  I now find most teenagers selfish, disrespectful, and annoying.  Forgive me, all you brilliant, self-assured, and kind teenagers, who actually look me in the eye, smile, and are friendly to others.  You are in the blessed minority.

The other week I met one of these minority teens who greeted me with a smile and "hello" in the early morning of a first period English class.  Beyond that, this young man actually came up to me at the end of the class to shake my hand (shake my hand?!), ask my name, and thank me for coming in.  And believe me when I tell you this gesture was in total sincerity.

I have since seen Mike (not his real name) three other times when I was back at his high school to sub.  I saw him again today.  The class I was subbing in had a guest speaker, and I watched Mike greet our guest with the same sincerity and friendliness he had also afforded me.  This maturity is just so rare!

I've got to be honest.  Mike is not the kind of kid I would expect to have such poise and confidence.  He has a hearing impairment that has caused his speech to be difficult to understand.  He isn't built like an athlete, and he has a noticeable scar on his body.  He's actually the kind of kid you would expect to be withdrawn, severely self-conscious, and made-fun-of.

We had a few minutes to talk at the end of art class. Truth be told, Mike has been made-fun-of.  I discovered that he is new to the district as of this year.  He moved in with his grandparents so he could transfer districts.  The district he attended for most of his life was no longer safe for him.  He said he had been bullied, and he had taken enough.  And then in an honest and humble voice, Mike said, "You see, I'm not like most boys.  I don't like girls; I like guys."

I'm not sure where Mike's inner-strength has come from, but today Mike made my hero's list.  A bullied gay young man with a physical disability and a strong lisp has learned to walk with his head held high, his smile broad, and his handshake warm.  Yeah, he's an everyday hero.

6 comments:

  1. I am glad you got to meet this rare individual. It is a crying shame that he even had to transfer districts. It should NEVER come to that. His old district should be ashamed of itself that a student would HAVE to leave to avoid bullying. This guy is an everyday hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, kt, I felt privileged to meet such a jewel as Mike. After he walked out of class, I sat there stunned by what he had just said. I know the district he has come from; it is well-known and admired. How badly he must have been hurting to have made the decision to move out of his parents' home and the community he is from right before his senior year of high school. I would have expected bitterness or depression. Instead, this rare young man shone with a strong, warm inner-light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sad commentary on the school district from which "Mike" came, but what a precious heart this young man has in spite of disabilities, years of bullying and as you said, needing to move out of his own parents' home. I am so glad you treated him with dignity, Annette, as I know you would. Our sermon this morning was taken from Isaiah and Matthew where the Lord is separating the sheep from the goats based on their treatment of those who are hungry, thirsty, naked, in prison, etc. - and the Lord's word was... inasmuch as you did it (or didn't do it) unto the least of these, you did it (or didn't do it) unto me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments, Mom. That is my favorite parable that Jesus ever told. It inspires me to serve and to see the Divine in every human being.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your post Annette-- this young man is an inspiration to us all. He sounds like someone who should be on The Ellen Degeneres Show :) She loves honoring everyday heroes, especially those who have risen above the turmoil of bullying. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Rebecca, he is an inspiration and one I will not forget anytime soon. If he has learned to rise above the opinions and accusations of others, anyone can learn to be liberated from self-doubt and the fear of what others' think. I myself am already feeling challenged by his example. Who knows? Maybe his story will make Ellen's show someday! She's a great woman!

    ReplyDelete