Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving Crumbs

"A desire to kneel down sometimes pulses through my body, or rather it is as if my body had been meant and made for the act of kneeling.  Sometimes in moments of deep gratitude, kneeling down becomes an overwhelming urge, head deeply bowed, hand before my face."  
~Etty Hillesum

Do you ever feel like that?  So overcome with gratitude and joy that you could drop to your knees?  The closest I feel to that sort of gratitude is when I am taking a quiet walk by myself, my eyes drinking in the beauty of trees, skies, flowers, sun and my ears absorbing bird songs and dancing breezes among the leaves.  Except rather than bowing low, my head, heart, and sometimes arms reach high up wanting to gather the beauty and goodness of God into my soul.  

And yet days and weeks can go by to the hum-drum of daily life or to the sad tune of heartache without my knees bending or my arms stretching wide in gratefulness.  I'm learning that these long stretches need not be.  I'm learning that the hum-drum days and even heartache days contain their beautiful, even glorious moments, if only I have eyes to see them.  Macrina Wiederkehr calls these moments "crumbs" for the soul, and I love that analogy. A warm, thick slice of bread is most delicious to the soul, such as the moments I am walking amid the beauty of an autumn day, but crumbs can be savored, too.  Indeed, when I take the time to savor them, rather than gulp them down without a thought, my soul is that much more satisfied.

"Crumbs are those small things that the world would toss aside, seeing little value in them.... Everything in life can be nourishing.  Everything can bless us, but we've got to be there for the blessing to occur." (A Tree Full of Angels, Introduction, xiii).

"Being there" or being grateful is a spiritual discipline, a practice that nourishes the soul.  Sometimes I practice this at the end of the day when I am lying in bed.  I think back upon my day and ask myself what "crumbs" I gathered.  Usually, they are the simplest of moments: a snuggle with my daughter in the morning, the sight of the red maple in our backyard, the conversation with a friend which left us each a little lighter, the smell of muffins baking in the oven, the laughter from my children and their father as they wrestled and tickled on the living room floor.  I think back on these crumbs, savoring them, rolling them around on my tongue.  My heart beats stronger with thankfulness, and I go to sleep at peace.  

Thanksgiving may be over, but there are crumbs on the table of daily life, if only we stop to look, to savor, to nourish our souls.  What crumbs have you gathered from today?  

4 comments:

  1. Nettie,

    Thanks for that reminder. I have a lot of crumbs to savor, but lately I haven't been dwelling on the blessings as much as the "minor drudgeries" in my life.

    Your phrase "my heart beats stronger with thankfulness, and I go to sleep at peace" reminds me of Phil. 4:8&9 "Whatsoever things are lovely,admirable, execellent or praiseworthy, think on these things.....and the God of peace will be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Mom, that Philippians passage offers a great motto live by. I'm not sure why it is easier to dwell on the drudgeries of life, but life is surely sweeter when we savor the "crumbs," by meditating on what is lovely, admirable, excellent, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annette,
    I love this post!!!
    I think about this a lot as well... looking back at 'hard times' I am always amazed and thankful for having gone thru them.
    Therefore when I'm having a bad day I actually don't know in the moment if it is going to actually be the best day of my life...therefore I am thankful for each day, hard or 'easy' :)...and especially each "crumb"

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great perspective, Claudia. I need more of that "teachable moment" attitude. I usually categorize moments into "bad" or "hard" or "good" or "easy". But they say most of life is how we respond to circumstances beyond our control. Thanks for your thoughts... another "crumb" for me to savor from today. :-)

    ReplyDelete