Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Remembering Haiti Today

I was going about my morning.  I jumped in the car to head over to my daughter's class to volunteer.  NPR was on, and that was when I was reminded that today marks the two-year anniversary of Haiti's 35-second nightmare.  Though I like to keep up with current world events, I am one of those types that cannot watch the news.  The violent images and overall negative commentary is sometimes too overwhelming.  What I find much more appealing is learning about stories of hope and how I can become a part of those.  I came across this article written by Tom Arnold, CEO of Concern Worldwide, a very highly rated NGO on Charity Navigator.

Mr. Arnold highlights some of the amazing strides Haiti has made over the last two years as well as explains the many challenges to rebuilding.  I was impressed by his understanding that rebuilding successfully relies on the partnerships of the community, the government, non-profits, and international aid.  When all of these are working together that is when long-term solutions become possible.  (Too often non-profits or other nations giving aid assume they understand a community's needs better than the local community, and too often money, time, and energy is wasted needlessly.)  Concern's model of "Returning to the Neighborhoods" is considered by Haiti's government the best practice in helping families resettle, and already they have reached 237,000 people through their emergency and recovery programs.

This article makes me hopeful that the nation of Haiti has much potential to come out stronger than before this devastation.  I'd encourage you to read this short article, check out the work of Concern Worldwide, and pray for continued Light to lead Haiti out from its dark night and into a bright new day.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to take a little credit for who you have become b/c I don't like the news much either if it is sad in any way (as you know). But that is where my credit stops. You have gone so beyond me in your writing and your life style of making others aware of hurting peoples and how to help.
    Thanks!! "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the wanderer with shelter- when you see the naked to clothe him and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? ......If you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday."

    ReplyDelete