Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Fair Trade Friday - Lunch Boxes

So it's back-to-school-shopping-time!  Last week, the kids and I took care of important business... hair cuts and new shoes.  While shopping at Old Navy, we came across some really cute, inexpensive backpacks with matching lunch boxes.  I hadn't yet decided if we were going to buy the kids new backpacks; after all, their Target-bought backpacks had held up pretty well last year.  Plus, I don't think it is necessary to buy a new backpack and lunch box every school year.  That wouldn't be kind to our wallets or to our earth or to the values of living simply that we are wanting to convey.  But they were so cute!  And the sale price!  Only $7 for the backpacks and $4 for the lunch box!  I caved.  Jaida quickly found the pattern she liked while Dylan declined (the boys' patterns were sort of boring).

Then we came home, and I showed the purchases to Jarred.  We discussed the back pack dilemma and decided our kids could use last year's backpacks another year.  Plus, I admitted, these Old Navy bags seemed cheaply made.  One backpack's strap was hanging on by three threads on the rack at Old Navy.  And above that, like most of the clothes we wear, how in the world could the makers of these bags in Vietnam be making a livable wage?  If Old Navy can afford to sell the bags so cheaply after paying all of their overhead and the cost of transporting them across the globe, they must have bought these bags for next-to-nothing from the Vietnamese manufacturer.


So I am planning to return the backpack and lunch box, much to my daughter's dismay.  However, the kids are still in need of lunch boxes.  (You can only spill milk and yogurt into a lunch box so many times, before its stench turns the stomach of its user.)  I decided to jump online to see if there aren't any eco-friendly or fair-traded lunch boxes out there.  Turns out there are many to choose from!  This was one of my favorites...


Photo Credit: Bazura.Biz
Aren't they cute?  They are called Bazura bags, and they are made by a women's co-op in the Philippines, using juice bags which otherwise would have been thrown by the wayside.  This is a brilliant concept as literally thousands of these juice bags are consumed daily in the Philippines.  But now this waste is being converted into a profitable business for women entrepreneurs.




Photo Credit: Bazura.Biz
Unlike many women living in developing countries who often work long hours in the fields or in sweat shops, these women work for themselves in fair conditions, contribute to their communities, and are part of a solution to reduce the trash in their country.

You must check out their other items, too--handbags, grocery bags, coin purses, and lots more!  Go to www.bazurabags.com 


Photo Credit: Bazura.Biz

3 comments:

  1. These bags are beautiful and serve a dual purpose. Good going, J & A. You are teaching your children a practical lesson. Did they choose one yet? The green purse looks familiar - do you have one like that already?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they neat, Mom? Dylan picked a red bag and Jaida a purple one. Of course, we won't know what the juice bags will look like until we get the lunch boxes in the mail. That part's a bit of a surprise.

    A friend gave me a small purse made out of recycled juice bags, similar to the picture at the bottom of my post. I'm pretty sure it must have been a Bazura product. If my memory serves me right, she found it at Borders Bookstore and told me it was made from women in the Philippines. Whenever I use it, I am sure to get comments. They are really fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes they are neat - I may have to order one, too!

    ReplyDelete