Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Slow Down

Slow down, O Wearied Soul.
Slow down and rest awhile.
Breathe deep.  Breathe slow.
And don't forget to listen.

For though your ears hear many sounds,
your soul longs to listen to
the sounds of Silence.

And when you listen to the silence...
listen long, listen deeply...
for it is then when you will hear
the melodies of truth,
softly sung,
perhaps only whispered,
into your depths.

Slow down, O Wearied Soul.
Slow down long enough to listen
to the Silence.

5 comments:

  1. Was that your own composition or the writings of another? It was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote this little rambling while at a two-day spiritual retreat in West Virgina last week. The practices of silence, worship, meditation, writing, and solitude helped me to slow down and listen to what is going on in my soul. I wrote this as a reminder to practice those same disciplines at home, to not fill my life with such busy-ness and noise that I drown out the still, small voice within--the voice which speaks with such beauty, truth, and love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry this is a late reply, but wanted to comment on your comment. Sounds like you are putting into practice what you started on that retreat. You seem like a deep person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful new mantra! I can hear Stefan singing it at his next retreat. Thank you for being a voice crying out in the wilderness, calling me back to me. Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carla, my friend! Yes, I can hear Stefan's deep bass singing, "Slow down... Slow down, oh my Soul.."! I need this reminder often. It's difficult to live with the tension between fulfilling one's responsibilities and taking time for the soul, but I have learned the more I take time for my soul, the more my responsibilities are filled with meaning. I miss you and love you, soul sister!

    ReplyDelete