Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

You Dare Not Touch My Soul

I've been reading Ashley Judd's memoir, All That is Bitter and Sweet, and in it I have found somewhat of a kindred spirit. Having been a very sensitive child, Ashley grew up and took a real interest in the injustices of the world, especially during college when she joined various activist groups such as the NAACP and Amnesty International.  Ashley almost joined the Peace Corps before deciding to take a chance at an acting career.

Today Ashley travels all around the world as the YouthAIDS ambassador for Population Services International, raising public awareness for one of the most devastating human crises.  In her travels she has visited places like Cambodia where sex-trafficking is rampant.  She has sat, held, cried with, and listened to the stories of many women and children living in this unbelievable reality.  As I read these stories, I am overcome by the amazing grace that certain souls are given despite the most brutal and inhumane circumstances a life could possibly experience.

I wrote this in the voice of a girl whose voice has been taken away:

You can hit me
and hurt me
abuse me
and use me.


You can bend me
borrow me
break every bone.


You can kick me
and curse me
You can hate me
degrade me


But there is one thing you must leave alone.


You can strangle my neck
You can leave me a wreck
You can steal all my innocence
in your big, greedy hands


But there's one thing that you'll never own.


You can oppress me
suppress me
starve me
and chain me


But you cannot --
             you will not--
                            you dare not--
                                             touch my soul.


~A.L.G.   August 28th, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment