Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

Back-to-School Bags the Fair Trade Way!

I've decided that I want to become more consistent with my blogging. So I've made a goal to post once a week, each week of the month corresponding with a different theme.  Week one: Fair trade or Environmentalism.  Week two:  Personal Reflection.  Week three: Social Issues.  And week four: Glo-burban Spotlights.

Since this is the first week of August and we are nearing the start of another school year, I decided to take some time to highlight some back-to-school bags... that are not only totally cool... but are also totally Fair Trade purchases!  You can be sure that these products were not made in some China sweatshop by children who would much prefer to be in school themselves, but were made by employees being treated rightly and payed fairly!

Just to be honest, my kids are not receiving one of these bags this school year, though they will be using their fair trade lunch boxes from last year.  I showed them  a few of these backpacks, but they are going with something different this year.  There are a gazillion fair trade and eco-friendly options out there, and it can be fun to shop online with your kids.  One of the best websites I've found for fair trade/eco-friendly products is WorldofGood.com by Ebay.

 Here are just a few that I thought were cool and affordable!

1. Bazura Bags

We bought two adorable lunch bags from Bazura Bags last year, and I have been asked on many occasion... "Where did you get those cute lunch bags?"  These are just two of their styles.  I love the messegner book bags made from used rice bags and recycled aluminum foil! 











2. Fair Trade Winds - Owl Back Pack

Isn't this cute?  Perfect for your little Pre-Schooler or Kindergartner?  These are made using various scraps of fabric by a Fair-Trade women's co-op in Thailand.





3.  Hempmania

This every day backpack is made of a very eco-friendly product, hemp, by Mayan families in Guatemala. Very versatile!






 4. Recycled Rice Lunch Bag

 I love this lunch bag!!!  And it would go perfect with the rice bag back pack from Bazura!














5. Fair Trade Winds - lunch bag

 Oh, isn't this a perfect gift for a teacher!  Who wouldn't love this cute lunch bag?  And they do free shipping!




6. Recycled Juice Bags Lunch Bag

This cute lunch box is made from recycled juice bags from the Philippines and is sold at my favorite store ever... Ten Thousand Villages!  It's very similar to the lunch bags I bought last year for Dylan and Jaida. 


Happy shopping, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment